GNC Pets is a division of GNC Live Well that offers high quality dog and cat nutritional supplements, fortified treats, vitamin-enriched and medicated shampoos, and other topical pet care items. GNC Pets products are developed using scientific research to produce sophisticated formulas and product efficacy. Scientific journals, books, trade publications, consumer research and consumer demand played significant roles in the development of the product lines.
GNC Pets’ products came to market in 2010 exclusively to PetSmart stores. In 2013, with the goal to make GNC Pets a household name for animal lovers, the brand recognized the opportunity to expand growth and increase sales by spreading brand awareness and building customer loyalty via a strong online marketing presence.
GNC Pets began Twitter and Facebook profiles but gained little traction without a dedicated resource to manage and execute marketing strategies through the channels. In November 2013, GNC Pets selected Cosmitto to manage their online marketing needs after receiving a strong, compelling recommendation from another GNC division.
Cosmitto and GNC Pets worked hand-in-hand to develop an online marketing strategy. The first year of service was developed to exponentially build exposure and audience reach, increase brand engagement and foster brand loyalty. Cosmitto…
- Identified brand-building keywords to boost search engine optimization (SEO).
- managed daily, high-frequency Facebook and Twitter postings that eventually tapered off to 6 Facebook posts and 12 Twitter posts per week.
- Designed and implemented ad campaigns on Facebook.
- Executed online, cross-promotional campaigns (with PetSmart) and other monthly promotional campaigns.
After a year of surpassing expectations, Cosmitto was signed on for year two. The second year of service is quite similar to the first, but more tailored toward maintaining their audience and building up meaningful engagement.
- The pet industry lends very well to effectively-planned social media and digital advertising. Photos and video capture the most attention online, especially those of animals.
- GNC Pets and Cosmitto work closely together to monitor what type of posts and content work the best. What kind of information are consumers responding to? What kind of information gets the least engagement?
- Cosmitto develops a yearly editorial calendar that maps out themes and topics by month. This calendar informs and guides content posting to make it the most relevant, engaging and informative for GNC Pets’ audience.
- Cosmitto spent several weeks delving into the GNC Pets business, learning the company’s voice, branding and culture in order to appropriately reflect the brand online.
- Cosmitto’s execution focus allows GNC Pets to focus on their high-level projects and marketing initiatives without having to worry about the day-to-day long-term work.